What is the Inland Revenue Department and How Does it Function?
The Inland Revenue Department (IRD) in Hong Kong is the government body which is responsible for overseeing the administration of taxes and duties.
The IRD has its headquarters based in the Revenue Tower in Wanchai. Moreover, the department’s prior location was Windsor House. Among the responsibilities of the Commissioner of the IRD is to oversee the administration of the following ordinances in Hong Kong:
- Tax Reserve Certificates Ordinance Cap.289
- Betting Duty Ordinance Cap.108
- Stamp Duty Ordinance Cap.117
- Business Registration Ordinance Cap.310
- Estate Duty Ordinance Cap.111
- Inland Revenue Ordinance Cap.112
- Hotel Accommodation Tax Ordinance Cap.348
The Inland Revenue Department (IRD) Hong Kong’s Mission and Vision
The core values of the IRD are professionalism, efficiency, responsiveness, fairness, effectiveness, courtesy, and teamwork. Thus, the IRD aims to provide excellent tax administration in Hong Kong. As part of their responsibilities, the IRD has an important part in the promotion of prosperity and stability in Hong Kong and as such, they are committed to the following duties:
- The collection of revenue efficiently and cost-effectively
- The promotion of compliance through its rigorous law enforcement, education, and publicity programmes
- Providing the taxpaying public with courteous and effective service
- Enabling the IRD staff to obtain the necessary knowledge, attitude, and skills. Upon doing so, they can contribute their best achievement.
Inland Revenue Department (IRD) Hong Kong’s eTax Service
The IRD Hong Kong provides an electronic service known as the eTAX service. Further, it offers users an easy, secure and environmentally-friendly way to facilitate their compliance with the tax law. Also, its wide-range of user-friendly electronic services are efficient. As a result, it enables them to carry out their tax obligations with ease and convenience.
Taxpayers only need to log into their eTAX account using their Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and then their eTAX password to start using the services. With the online account, users will then be able to keep track of your current tax position. They can also manage their tax-related affairs and easy communication with the IRD Hong Kong no matter where they may be and at any time.
Further, the benefits of using the eTAX account include:
- Filing tax returns
- Applying for business registration and also extracts of registration particulars
- Keeping track of outstanding tax returns or payments (if any)
- Updating the personal and business particulars
- Obtain an estimation of Salaries Tax payable
- Making enquiries about personal tax matters
- Applying for provisional tax holdover
- Stamp property documents
- Submitting requests for assessment amendments
- Viewing tax returns which have been filed online. It also tackles tax assessments and payment acknowledgement
You can find more information about IRD. Just visit their website by clicking here.