Annual Return Submission to Companies Registry
In Hong Kong, both locally incorporated and foreign companies (an incorporated subsidiary or registered branch) are required to file annual return submission (annual return Hong Kong) with Companies Registry within 42 days after the anniversary of the incorporation date of the company.
The Annual Filing Requirements of a Hong Kong Private Limited Company
Filing of Annual Return with Companies Registry
a. What is it?
The Companies Ordinance has mandated that all locally incorporated private limited companies must file their Annual Returns with the Companies Registry. An Annual Return Hong Kong, as the name implies, is a return that contains all particulars of the company such as the registered office address, shareholders, directors, secretary, etc. The Annual Return Hong Kong has to be signed by a director, company secretary, manager or authorized representative. Having said that, a private company that has applied for a dormant status (here refers to a company without relevant accounting transactions during a financial year) under the Companies Ordinance will be exempted from such compliance requirement.
b. Prescribed Time Period
Please note that there is no requirement to file the company’s financial accounts with the Company Registry when do the annual return submission. The Annual Return Submission has to be filed once in every calendar year (exception: the year of its incorporation) not later than 42 days after the anniversary of the incorporation date of the company.
c. Late Submission
Failure to comply with this compliance requirement within the prescribed period means a breach of the Companies Ordinance. You will be slapped with higher registration fee due to late submission and your company and its officers are liable to prosecution and fines.
- If the Annual Return is delivered more than 42 days after but within 3 months after the company’s return date: HK$ 870
- If the Annual Return is delivered more than 3 months after but within 6 months after the company’s return date: HK$ 1,740
- If the Annual Return is delivered more than 6 months after but within 9 months after the company’s return date: HK$ 2,610
- If the Annual Return is delivered more than 9 months after the company’s return date: HK$ 3,480
d. Documents Needed
- Signed Annual Return Filing Forms (original copy)
- A copy of Hong Kong Certificate of Incorporation
- A copy of Hong Kong Company Business Certificate
- A copy of Hong Kong Company M&A
- Company Incorporation Papers (D1, D3, R1 Forms)
- Copies of ID Cards of all directors and shareholders
e. How to submit
In Hard Copy Form
- The annual return can be submitted in hard copy form together with the correct annual registration fee, either by post or in person:
- Address of Companies Registry: Companies Registry, 14th floor, Queensway Government Offices, 66 Queensway, Hong Kong
- Companies Registry’s Service Hours: please refer to the service hours of the Companies Registry.
- Cheque payable to: “Companies Registry”.
In Electronic Form
You can opt to file the annual return with the correct annual registration fee electronically via Companies Registry’s 24-hour portal: e-Registry.
3E Accounting will help you to take care of all the statutory annual filings where we will remind you in advance before the due dates. In addition to this, we will assist you with any changes in the company particulars of the directors or shareholders. Long story short, we help you to stay compliant with the on-going compliance requirements according to the Company Ordinance in Hong Kong.