Labour Department’s Special Career Let’s Go Programme to Support Secondary School Graduates
The Hong Kong Labour Department has announced the launch of the special Career Let’s Go programme. The programme aims to assist secondary school graduates prepare for their professional careers. It does so by providing a range of pre-employment training and employment services to help school leavers access up-to-date employment information, plan their careers, and enhance their employability.
How the Career Let’s Go Programme Works
Running from May to August, the Career Let’s Go programme is anticipated to attract approximately 11,000 participants. Secondary school leavers can visit the dedicated website, which features job vacancies specifically identified as suitable for them. They can apply for these positions based on their personal career aspirations.
Some examples of the jobs include general office clerk, shop salesperson, and security guard. The webpage also offers comprehensive information about job fairs organised by the department, including those held under the Youth Employment & Training Programme (YETP).
Youth Employment Resource Centres
To provide practical support, two youth employment resource centres in Mong Kok and Kwai Fong offer training courses through the Happy@Work programme. These centres provide career assessments and consultations, enabling school leavers to plan their careers at an early stage.
Recognition And Celebration
To highlight the progress made by trainees, the department, in collaboration with RTHK Radio 2, will hold the Award Ceremony of YETP Most Improved Trainees 2023 & Concert in August. This event will be a great way to blow off steam, improve confidence, and recognise the most valuable trainees.
Interested Youths Encouraged to Participate
The department strongly encourages secondary school leavers who choose to enter the employment market to join the Career Let’s Go programme. The programme can be a bridge between the very different school and office life. Furthermore, it helps students understand the expectations of employers in the after-pandemic area.
Career Let’s Go provides a comprehensive pre-employment and on-the-job training, free of charge, with allowances for trainees. Importantly, there is no pre-set quota, ensuring that all interested individuals have an opportunity to benefit from the programme.
By offering diversified services and support, the Career Let’s Go programme aims to equip secondary school graduates with the necessary skills and resources to succeed in the job market and embark on promising careers.
Other Tips for Youths Entering the Job Market for the First Time
Finally, here are some helpful tips for people who are entering the job market in Hong Kong in 2023:
- Polish your resume. Always tailor your resume to highlight relevant skills, experiences, and achievements.
- Understand the basics of interviews. Before any interview, research the company, practise common interview questions, and be ready to articulate your strengths and goals.
- Your network is your net worth. Look to build professional connections through career fairs, industry events, and online platforms like LinkedIn. T
- Develop soft skills. Employers highly value communication, teamwork, and problem-solving skills.
- Always look to learn. Stay updated with industry trends, and consider certifications or courses to enhance your knowledge.
- Be proactive. You must take initiative, show enthusiasm, and demonstrate a willingness to learn and grow.
- Build a professional online presence: Ensure your social media profiles present potential employers with a positive and professional image.
- Know how to dress professionally. How you dress and present yourself makes a huge difference in corporate environments.
- Always stay positive. Job hunting can be challenging, so maintain a positive attitude and persevere in your search.
Looking for HR Services in Hong Kong?
With 3E Accounting’s comprehensive HR services, businesses can streamline their human resource management, ensuring compliance, efficient processes, and talent acquisition. Contact us today to optimise your HR operations and drive success in your organisation.