This post is also available in: 繁體中文 (Chinese (Traditional)) 简体中文 (Chinese (Simplified))
Things You Need to Know About Technology Talent Admission Scheme (TechTAS) in Hong Kong
The Technology Talent Admission Scheme (also known as TechTAS) in Hong Kong is a special fast-track arrangement to allow eligible companies to admit overseas talents to undertake research and development (“R&D”) work.
Eligible Companies for Hong Kong Technology Talent Admission Scheme
Eligible companies include those that are engaged in R&D in areas such as:
- Artificial intelligence
- Data analytics
- Financial technologies
- Material science
- 5G communications
- Digital entertainment
- Green technology
- Integrated circuit design
It should be noted that eligible companies would first have to apply for a quota. They can then sponsor eligible persons to apply for an employment visa or entry permit within the quota’s validity period. Companies that are successfully accepted into the Technology Talent Admission Scheme will also have to fulfil a requirement to employ new local employees.
Eligible Employees for Hong Kong Technology Talent Admission Scheme
An application for an employment visa or entry permit under TechTAS will be considered according to the following criteria:
- The applicant has no security objection and no known record of serious crime
- The employing Hong Kong company has a valid quota approved by the Innovation & Technology Commission (ITC) at the time of application
- The applicant is engaged principally in conducting R&D in specified areas of technology (the list is mentioned above)
- The applicant is a degree-holder in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) from a well-recognised university
- If the applicant has a bachelor’s degree, they should possess a minimum of one year of work experience in the relevant technology area (work experience is not compulsory for those with a Master’s or Doctoral degree)
- Applicants that do not meet the academic requirements but possess good technical skills in speciality areas and have proven professional abilities and/or relevant experience and achievements will still be considered on a case-by-case basis
Sponsoring Dependants Under TechTAS
Successful applicants who are admitted into Hong Kong under TechTAS may apply to bring in their spouse or the other party to a civil partnership or union entered into by him/her in accordance with the local law in force of the place of celebration and with such status being legally and officially recognised by the local authorities of the place of celebration.
Persons admitted or applying for admission under TechTAS will hence be the sponsors of their accompanying dependants to enter into Hong Kong. They may also apply to sponsor unmarried dependent children under the age of 18.
It will take up to two weeks for Hong Kong’s Immigration Department to process applications under TechTAS upon receipt of all the required documents. Approval of applications is entirely discretionary and the Director of the Immigration Department reserves the right to refuse any application even if the application meets all eligibility criteria.